As I think everyone knows by now (so it’s not much of a spoiler) the Worgen race is being introduced in Cataclysm. For the longest time there was no model in the game for the female but only of the male. They’re finally added her to the game and I have a few thoughts on the new race joining the Alliance.
First of all, I think it’s nice to see a more fierce and savage race join the Alliance, we could use some fresh blood and something that’s not just all-together pretty. The Worgen story is interesting and captivating (as you will notice if you play through the starting area once Cataclysm arrives).
My main quarrel with the race is the look of the female models. I know we’ve only just gotten them playable and it’s already on it’s second (or third?) incarnation. I’m glad that they’re not too pretty, but it’s a shame that every single face option has a permanent snarl on her face. From the front this isn’t visible, and from the front they almost look too pretty, but then you turn around and see them from the side and realise that they’re not really all that pretty.
But there are a few other things wrong with the models. Some they might fix, others I’m not sure if they’re actually intended.
- There is a point in front of the female’s ears where you can see straight through her skull.
- When viewed from the front the torso seems oddly twisted.
- The breasts are insanely huge and seem almost too high up on the chest. If Draenei are supposed to be double Ds then Worgen must be double E or F… Seriously, it looks like they might choke on them!
- The butt, in profile, is actually square.
- The tummy has a very odd protruding area, kinda like she swallowed a small racoon and it’s still being digested.
- The above two things gives her body a very weird slouch and I think that combined with their heavy breasts they’ll be prone to back problems.
I hope that they address some of these issues, but I must admit that I’m not sure they will. Don’t misunderstand me though, there are a lot of good things with the female model too. I really like their hairstyles, they’re wild and untamed, much like the Worgens are meant to be. Their animations are also pretty good, both for melee and casters. With a few adjustments, I think the Worgens could end up looking really cool (admittedly the male model is already really high on the cool factor – we just need the female model up there too).
Some photos to show what I mean below, click to enlarge.