As I think everyone who reads me fairly regularly is aware I currently play Alliance, and I have been doing so since a couple of months before The Burning Crusade came out. Before that, I played Horde, and was actually quite hating the idea of re-rolling to Alliance.
When you play a certain faction for long enough you start to enjoy that faction more than the other, and the races seem better looking that the opposing faction’s races.
This became obvious to me when I first re-rolled to Alliance. I thought most of the Alliance races looked horrible. Female humans were plain and chunky, night elves were pretty but somewhat square around their hips (okay, I still think that!) and gnomes were small and evil (okay, I still think that too!)
My first Alliance character was a night elf because it was the only race that I could bear to look at.
Now, a few years later, I am absolutely in love with female humans. Once you get used to them they have some really nice options for faces, their body types seem just right and they have really nice animations for fighting and casting.
So, what made me think of this?
Well, a very good friend of mine play Horde on a different server. Their guild is having similar troubles to my own filling their roster, and since they’re raiding different days than my guild I thought that maybe I could kill two birds with one stone – I can help their guild out with another headcount and I can get to play with my friend.
Now, this is where it starts getting tricky for me. (And I’m not even talking about juggling two raiding schedules.)
I look at the Horde races that I previously loved and I go… That doesn’t look right! Why do Undead run like that? Are those feet? Why can’t I have shoes?!
I’ve so far tried:
– Tauren; they feel big and clumsy while still kind of adorkable. But I can’t see myself as one.
– Undead; I used to love Undead! My Horde rogue was one.. my warlock was one.. my priest was one! But now all I see is the really weird way they run.
– Troll; What’s up with those feet!? Why can’t I wear shoes and why does it look like she has back aches when she’s casting? Arms up in the air? Yeah, sorry.. Night Elves do that better.
– Orc; I actually quite like Orcs. They have nice melee animations and their casting animations aren’t too bad either. But compared to my Human they seem really.. big and muscular.
– Blood Elf; I swear they’re so small you could poke them with a stick and they will break!
I’m going to be playing a Paladin, because they need a healer and I don’t want to move my Priest (she recently even got her own arena team, and if happily flailing wildly) so I have to choose between Tauren and Blood Elf.
How do you feel about the different races/factions? Do you happily switch between the two sides or various races, or do you tend to stick to a favourite?
Also, PS. Does anyone know a good Paladin blog where I can like.. learn how to heal on one? Basic beginner tips please like.. which stats are the most important etc.